8/365: How am I being kind to myself today?
The connection I made as to the difference between how I treat my body vs. how I treat my pets has been eye-opening. Really, I was completely unaware of how negative my relationship with my body is. I mean, I wouldn't think twice about taking care of my dogs even when I'm sick, and I wouldn't dream of not feeding them for a week or letting them out to take care of business for days on end. Hello. Not an animal abuser here.
So why in the name of Sam is it so hard for me to rest when I need to? To make sure I have provisions so that I don't get so hungry my head hurts, my blood sugar gets low, and I'm so ravenous I eat way too much once I finally get around some food? Why can't I take the time needed away from work or whatever other commitments to exercise? Why? I wouldn't - and don't - treat a dog the way I treat my body. Not that I want to switch to a diet of Kibbles 'n Bits, but my point is the spirit of things, the feelings and motivations behind my behaviors.
In reading the points I listed out a couple of entries ago, I realize that I do not act as if I love my body, I do not act as if I feel responsible for it, I do not act as if identifying its needs are important, I do not gladly or willingly take the necessary steps to meet those needs. All things that I do multiple times every day for my fish, my dogs, my plants. Not to say I'm a perfect pet owner or anything, but seriously, the things I care for are generally in decent shape.
Why can't I give my own self a fraction, an iota, of the respect and care and even tenderness that I show for the other living things I am responsible for?
So a friend suggested asking myself, "How am I being kind to myself today?" The question begs the question of whether or not one is being kind to oneself at all on that day. But assuming one is, then how?
Today, I should have gone in to work. Today, I'm going to relax - it was a hard week, and things can wait. It's not fair to those that depend on me, but they'll just have to for today, for one day. Unless I have the energy to go in later.
So why in the name of Sam is it so hard for me to rest when I need to? To make sure I have provisions so that I don't get so hungry my head hurts, my blood sugar gets low, and I'm so ravenous I eat way too much once I finally get around some food? Why can't I take the time needed away from work or whatever other commitments to exercise? Why? I wouldn't - and don't - treat a dog the way I treat my body. Not that I want to switch to a diet of Kibbles 'n Bits, but my point is the spirit of things, the feelings and motivations behind my behaviors.
In reading the points I listed out a couple of entries ago, I realize that I do not act as if I love my body, I do not act as if I feel responsible for it, I do not act as if identifying its needs are important, I do not gladly or willingly take the necessary steps to meet those needs. All things that I do multiple times every day for my fish, my dogs, my plants. Not to say I'm a perfect pet owner or anything, but seriously, the things I care for are generally in decent shape.
Why can't I give my own self a fraction, an iota, of the respect and care and even tenderness that I show for the other living things I am responsible for?
So a friend suggested asking myself, "How am I being kind to myself today?" The question begs the question of whether or not one is being kind to oneself at all on that day. But assuming one is, then how?
Today, I should have gone in to work. Today, I'm going to relax - it was a hard week, and things can wait. It's not fair to those that depend on me, but they'll just have to for today, for one day. Unless I have the energy to go in later.

0 Comments:
Publicar un comentario
<< Home